Wednesday 30 January 2013

Writing thoughts

Hello you!

Right, pay attention (quiet down at the back)

So Tuesday night was college night again. This week's subject was 'stories that have a twist in the tale'. You know, that last act that you didn't see coming even though the clues were there. We started off by watching a couple of short films which both had the suprise ending.
They were:

Spider (type Spider 2007 short film into youtube. The ending is brutal though)

and

In Captivity (look for 48 hours film project winner 2011)

Both give excellent, if very different, examples of the surprise ending.

None of the above have anything to do with what I'm going to talk about now. Well, alright it does a bit, but not a huge amount. Just a tad. Look just keep reading and you'll see.

Right, now, as I was leaving the class I was having a conversation with a fellow student (can you call us students if it's just a leisure class?) and, if I may be so bold as to call her one, a friend (I'm not that good at making friends. More on that another time.). Ok, it was Lee. It was she that suggested this blog malarky. Mind you, she also suggested Twitter and that ain't never gonna happen y'all!

So anyway, we were talking about her thoughts about the story I've recently finished. Remember the one I was talking about a couple of weeks ago?

What do you mean no?! Yes you do. I sent it out to a few people to get their reactions. Yes, that one! You remember now, don't you? Good.
Well, Lee was one of those people. And she read it and gave me some nice feedback. She did make one comment that I seem to write 'miserable' stories (they do have a good shock ending though some of the time) and that it might be a good exercise to write one with a bit more of a  'sex, drugs and rock'n'roll' vibe to it.

To be fair, a lot of my stories are fairly down beat. Which did get me thinking a little. Because, as you may have noticed, this blog is a cheerful little thing in the main so how do I end writing in two very different styles when they are coming from the same place, ie Me?! To be honest I have no idea, but it is an interesting thought. One is the dark me and one is the light me. Combine the two and you get me.

I think.

Ta ta for now.

PS.
Lee also has a blog.Check out the address below. It's a good one (and I'm sure she'll plug mine at some point. *hint hint*).

http://budbin.wordpress.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment