Sunday 24 February 2013

To write or not to write: that is the question

Well hello everyone!

Right settle down now, especially you at the back. Just remember I'm watching you.

So I've been thinking about what to write on here next. Some of you might want another entry into Room 101 and some of you might want another episode of 'Like Ships That Pass In The Night'. But at the moment I can't do either of those things.

Now before you all start reaching for the valium let me explain. There will be more from both of those topics. But not yet. At the risk of sounding a bit poncey, I haven't been inspired enough to write about them. I'm currently writing a new short story which is taking up all my creative brain power. And as there isn't a huge amount of brain power in my head at any one time anyway, diverting more from the critical areas such as remembering to eat could be risky. I could end walking down the high street with my trousers around my ankles or, worse still, start supporting Liverpool which just can't be allowed to happen.

Anyway, where was I? Oh yes.

So I'm writing a new short story as I said in my last post. It's got vampires in it. But these are the non sparkly type of vampires. In fact, let me just say this right now:

VAMPIRES SHOULD NEVER SPARKLE!

Anyway, ahem, as I was saying .
The vampire story.
So that is at the forefront of my thoughts. And I want to write it. I really do. It's just that these things, with me, tend to take their own good time in getting from inside my head onto the page. Ok the page is on Microsoft word but you get the point. At least I hope you do. Thankfully I have enough to read some out at Tuesday's college class. By the way, if someone could keep my notified as to score in the Everton v Oldham cup replay that would be most appreciated.

So, here is the question;
Should I push it harder and be more disciplined when it comes to my writing. Should I force myself to write something even when I'm not really in the mood. Or should I take the step back, as I do now, and relax until I'm fully feeling inspired?

At the moment I'm happy with the way I write. I think I'm improving all the time as a writer. I have a good group of friends who help each other out. We give each other advice and support without saying one way is better than another. I know I could improve my output, but would it improve the quality which, as far as I can see, is the important thing?

So what do all the other writers out there do?

Ta ta for now.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I think that you said it best: "I'm happy with the way I write." So keep at it however it works best for you, I think. You could be one of those annoying writers who have so much angst about what they want to write and making sure it's perfect in every way that they never actually write.
    Those writers are supremely annoying.

    ReplyDelete