Saturday 1 December 2012

Pretty lights in the streets and lottery results

On Friday night my home town switched on the Christmas lights, lighting up the main street, in a display of glittering colour not seen during the rest of the year. And they look really nice. The council recently replaced all the old bulbs with LED ones (save on the old leccy bill apparently) which, though not as bright, to me bring a more refined and restrained look and feel to the display. Plus, they look just as good when you are approaching the main street from the top of high street. So well done to the council.

Which I guess means that it must be getting near Christmas. Though you wouldn't have noticed this what with the complete lack of advertising about it (*sarcasm mode off*). And I don't just mean the likes of John Lewis, M&S et al, but also the number of compilation albums that are being released at this time of year . You know the sort: The very best of Neil Diamond or American Anthems. The type of album that only ever comes out at Christmas so you'll have something to buy for your dad or the-relative-you-don't-know-very-well-and-only-want-to-spend-about-a-tenner-on. Not that there is anything wrong with them, but occasionally you wish these companies would show a little more imagination. Or is that just me?

And now, changing tack...

A week ago it was pointed out to me that in my stars in the Daily Mirror's telly section that this week I was due a slice of luck and that maybe I should get those lottery tickets because you never know.. (or something along those lines anyway). Now I'm normally one who regards this type of thing as a load of old twaddle but as an experiment born out of a whim, and so I would have something to write on here, I thought I would give it a try and see what happens. Normally I only do the Saturday draw (two lucky dips to be specific) so throughout this week I bought a ticket for the two  Euromillions draws, the Thunderball draws and the Wednesday main draw. A grand total of seven quid was spent. And what did I win? Zip,  ziltch, nada, nowt. In short: Sod all. Which I think goes to prove that either I'm very unlucky or that star signs in newspapers are a load of cobblers. Either way, I think its only fair that the Mirror gives me seven pounds in recompense.

1 comment:

  1. We have a lottery-beating-never-fails system. We selected a series of numbers. We set aside a fixed amount of set-aside money (£2 a week). We placed the said set-aside £2 in a nominated set-aside place (a small jug on the dresser). We have a guaranteed prize of £104 pounds a year, to be spent on holiday treats (less, of course, any money filched from the jug to pay the milkman ...). So, to date, we're about £1000 pounds up. I lied about the treats - it goes to GOES, but that sounds smarmy so I won't say it.

    ReplyDelete