Tuesday 11 December 2012

First Entry Into Room 101

First let me begin by saying that I know what the original Room 101 in the novel 1984 was.

To quote:

"You asked me once, what was in Room 101. I told you that you knew the answer already. Everyone knows it. The thing that is in Room 101 is the worst thing in the world."

But in this case the Room 101 I'm referring to is the TV show where you try to get rid of everything you hate. So the first thing I want to banish is....

*Drum Roll*

TEXT SPEAK

Yes that. Putting stuff like 'M8' when you mean 'mate' or getting rid of those silly little trivialities in the english language like grammar and punctuation so it looks like it was sent by a semi-illiterate chav. Thankfully most of my friends don't use it. But there are some. And it annoys me.

I mean, for one it takes longer to figure out what the message is saying if it's sent in text speak as opposed to normal english. The message looks so much better if it's written correctly so people should write it like that.
Secondly it's because I can't do it. I tried once, but before I sent the message felt compelled to put it right before sending it. This, I realise, is opening myself up to the argument that I'm out of touch. But if writing messages to someone and using the correct spelling, punctuation and grammar is 'out of touch' then so be it. At least you'll be able to read what I'm saying.

So there you are.
Now... anyone want to argue 'for' it? 

1 comment:

  1. I saw a Christmas card in town last weekend and it said...

    LOL its Christmas

    (the missing apostrophe isn't my doing either)

    ReplyDelete