Saturday 8 December 2012

Haircuts and Doctor Who

Well, today I got a haircut.

I'll give you a moment to recover from that announcement. Maybe the shock will be softened by the fact that it wasn't much of a haircut. I haven't had it restyled (one of the topics of conversation I overheard while waiting was whether people come in with a photograph and ask for whatever hairstyle said person in the picture has. Apparently this happens quite often). I haven't had a Beiber (hairstyle asked for quite a lot according to aforementioned conversation), nor am I now blonde with purple highlights. No, it was just cut shorter. Which brings with some benefits: Firstly it takes a lot less time to dry after a shower and, secondly, it hides away the ever increasing number of grey hairs that seem to be appearing. Yes, sadly, I think I've left it too late to start playing around with 'Just For Men'. So why get it cut I hear you ask..

Well....

This time in two weeks it will the work's Christmas do. But we'll come to that some other time because this time next week I, along with several hundred other fans, will be in a hotel on the outskirts of Birmingham for a Doctor Who convention. Now before you run off thinking that I'm a clichéd weirdo with no social skills, let me tell you that they are fun, the people are normal everyday people and everyone has a good time. Ok, in a crowd of five hundred or so, you are bound to get the odd one that you would cross the road to avoid but I have to say that in the 15 years that I have been attending these conventions I have come across less than a handful. Unless I'm the weirdo and everyone is avoiding me.. 

Besides there are football fans who can probably tell you every player to score in every FA cup final since 1950 or something and nobody accuses them of being a couple chips short of a butty. By the way, that's 'football' not 'soccer' to any americans reading this. Our game, our name geddit?

So anyway, I digress, the conventions. It's a Doctor Who convention as I said with the weekend's headline guest from the show being one David Tennant. Yes, that's right David Tennant. The tenth and probably most popular Doctor (though, because I'm of that age, MY Doctor is number 5 Peter Davison). So were you to accidently end up in the same hotel expect to see Daleks, the odd Tardis and more people in tenth Doctor costumes than you can shake a sonic screwdriver at. But relax, have fun, and join the party. We're nuts but it's a good nuts. It's a happy, friendly nuts so come and join us. The water is lovely and warm. 

So why did I get my haircut?
Simple really. I got it cut so that it wouldn't be too long over the Christmas break and, with Doctor Who conventions and parties over the next couple of weeks,  this was the best time to get it done. See, there is method to my madness.

No comments:

Post a Comment