Saturday 29 March 2014

In Praise Of The Sidekick

Well hello once again my little reader friends,

Everyone alright? Good. What about you lot at the back?

This little piece of madness, as you might have guessed from the title, is about the supporting characters that shine out of the little box in the corner of the room. Or wherever you put your tele these days. And it might not be so much of a box anymore. Might be more a flat screen. And it might not be so little either. Seriously, on my so far one and only trip to the Braehead shopping centre (more on that later) I saw a tv that was roughly the size of my flat. You could lay it down on the ground with the screen facing upwards, switch it on and the international space station could probably see what you were watching. But more on that later.

We're talking sidekicks and supporting characters.

The friend of the hero. The dependable one. The stalwart comrade.

Now I'm going to name a few of my favourites here. You may notice a common theme in that they are all women. So this little thread could also be called 'The Horn Factor' and yes, there may well be a few of you out there who will deem this to be sexist.

Tough.

It's my blog so there.

Anyway, we're talking about (and these are just from the tele):

Willow (Buffy The Vampire Slayer)
Gabrielle (Xena: Warrior Princess)
Amy Pond (Doctor Who)
Annie Cartwright (Life On Mars. The British version)
Maid Marion (to be exact Lucy Griffiths in the BBC version of Robin Hood a few years ago)
Agent Simmons (Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D)
Guinevere (Merlin)

So there you are. The lovely ladies that catch the more discerning eye that looks beyond the hero's shenanigans. Though to be the Amy Pond, Annie and Marion choices don't have much competition given that their respective lead characters are all blokes. Well, time lord in Amy's case. But take the case of Willow. She has to put up with both the far more glamorous Buffy and Cordelia. And I still prefer her to the both of them.

I have no idea what this all means and Freud would probably have a field day psycho-analysing these choices but what the hell. They're my choices and I don't care.

Ta ta for now.

1 comment:

  1. I have an out-of-date reference point to most TV heroes. The last time I owned a telly was in 2008 and since then I only watch programmes selectively. This becomes apparent when I get involved in conversations like this and refer to bygone days with a heady sense of nostalgia. Willow, however, has always been much sexier than Buffy, even in American Pie! :D

    ReplyDelete